Friday, June 7, 2013

Time sure goes fast!

It's been almost three months since we brought the Seacamper north. The weather being what it is, nothing much has happened since then. The weather doesn't always cooperate so outside projects have been on hold. I've done a lot of exploring inside, and I've made a few discoveries.
   I've replaced two of the four batteries at this point and I have the boat hooked up to shore power. The left side 110 volt wiring has a dead short someplace and I still haven't found it. We cut the 110 wires to the three overhead lights on the port side ( over the dinette, in the head, and over the port side settee ) The breaker still blows.I'll most likely get rid of the 110 lights anyway, as they're old and outdated, and 12 volt lights are much more economical, especially the new LEDs. In any case, at this moment the three lamps are hanging by their respective wiring and the whole boat looks like a bomb went off inside.
   The fridge is another problem. It's a Dometic ( Swedish 3 way 110.12v/ LPG ) and not getting cold on 110 volt. It's an absorption so does not have a compressor, which makes it hard to know if it's even on. The 110 element could be bad and I don't expect much cooling ability from the 12V. I haven't wanted to get into the LPG side of it all; that's a whole other ball game! Probably the best idea for that is to rip it out and replace it with a standard 110V bar fridge. The problem with that is finding one that will fit. I have a height restriction of about 30 inches, which allows it to fit under the forward dinette seat.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment